Tuesday, November 20, 2007

:: don imus ::

i just heard that "don imus" is coming back to talk radio on dec 3rd. very exciting! other than the selfish reason that my morning commute is going to feel a lot better listening to i-man, here are my opinions about the whole don imus issue -

any one who listens to imus knows how funny he is and how good his heart is. all of imus's sponsors and employers seemed to have shared the same value system with one value in it - "political correctness". that really irked me. granted, i had to look up what imus's comment meant (myself being a foreigner :) but ignoring all the context and punishing him was probably more un-american than what was actually said. i still don't know who gained what from firing him. does anyone even care?

the fact - that he got fired for making a silly comment about a college basket ball team - made me sad and provoked a thought process in me. i am desi (a person from india) living in the states. i am a minority. i never wanted to be treated like one. i rarely was. if i hear someone make fun of desis, i will feel bad. but if the same thing happens in india, i would probably ignore that or enjoy that. it made me think (for the n-th time) - why am i in the states and choose to be a minority? reasons are many but what matters is that it is my choice. my very own choice. i still remember how excited i was the day i landed on the land of opportunity. i am still excited about living in the land of opportunity. but... i don't want to be a foreigner, a minority all my life. i want to belong. one of the main reasons for our r2i (return to india) in may 2008.

into my second beer and i start rambling :) the day was filled with good stuff - first snowfall of the season, good day at work, don imus is coming back, thanksgiving wishes... it was a great day! hope yours was too.

:: anil ::

No comments: